Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath...


In reality, these grapes were only grapes of juice.  Lila and I actually had a very pleasant time picking them.  Maggie was down for a nap, which normally means Lila is in "Quiet Time", or in her room playing quietly while I get things done around the house and have a mommy break.  But, I decided she'd probably enjoy helping me with this project and I would enjoy her company as well. 


We have three grape plants in our backyard that over the past six years have become pretty prolific.  We've been watching the grapes and finally decided that they were ready to harvest.  So, Lila and I did just that.  In the past, it seems like all the grapes have been ready pretty much at the same time.  This year, however, only about half were dark purple while the other half was still green.  Needless to say, we didn't pick a whole heck of a lot.  And, after I cooked them and juiced them, there was not enough juice for even one batch of jelly.  So, hopefully, the other half will ripen and we can have another picking time.  Until then, I'll just have to freeze the juice and wait patiently.

The grape jelly really is worth the wait.  It's so yummy throughout the year.   I never buy jelly or jam at the store, it's another aisle I just walk on by.  We have quite a few fruit-bearing plants.  Plenty to keep us stocked with all kinds of yummy fruity spreads.  This year I have made plum jelly, strawberry jam, and blackberry jelly.  I usually also put up pear butter and apple butter.  Yummers.  The apples have started coming in and I've ventured into dehydrating them.  I've really been happy with the results.  My family has really enjoyed munching on them. 


On a happy note, today as we were leaving, I realized I hadn't packed the girls a snack for the car and I knew they would ask for one.  Conveniently, all I had to do was reach up and pick a couple apples from the tree in our front yard.  They were a big hit and healthy to boot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment