Maggie is getting closer to being potty-savvy. We cloth-diapered both girls successfully, but the past few months, I've had Maggie mostly in Pull-ups. They are so much easier to deal with when she wants to use the potty. However, they are pricey and terrible for the environment. So, I decided to start her in training pants. Or, "Big Dirl Panties" as she calls them. I had a 4 or 5 pairs left over from Lila. She was thrilled at the prospect. The first day, she went through all that I had in about an hour. When I had washed and dried them a couple days later, she was jumping-on-the-bed-happy to be able to wear them again. "Me pee pee in them." she said solemnly while shaking her head "no". (Interpretation- I won't pee pee in them.) Everyday she wears them, she seems to do a little better, but I was still running out of panties quickly! So, I broke down and bought some more. They're not that easy to find AND they cost $8 for *3* pairs! Which, ok, is still a lot cheaper than pull-ups in the long haul, but that just seemed exorbitant. So, I set out on a quest to make some. I found a free pattern on-line. I bought 2 yards of knit fabric from Hancock that was on sale for $4/yard. And, Voila! "Big Dirl Panties"!
FOE (fold-over elastic) that I had on hand. I would say I maybe used 1/3 yard on each pair. I added a bow to make it easy to tell the front from the back with scrap ribbon. I thought they turned out cute and Maggie is tickled pink and hopefully dry-pants bound!